Monday, November 26, 2012

Reinvigorating My Blog

I last posted on my complexity blog just as I began a challenging new assignment. For the past five years, I've been far too busy to blog or conduct research. I retired in August, and I've been getting back into the swing of reading, researching, and analyzing complex adaptive systems.

As you might tell from my posts from 2007, I believe that agent-based models are the tool of analysis for complex adaptive systems. At some point, I need to write an extended discussion of the role ABMs play in this analysis, and how we can validate the fact that we are using appropriate model designs -- those that match the actual systems we are to analyze. But, for right now, I need to get the discussion started.

The focus of my research is the implementation of agent-based models. These models, in which agents are set up to imitate the self-organizing elements of the system, are a natural byproduct of modern object-oriented computing. Specifically, I'm investigating the choices a model designer must make in the early stages. Sometimes the choices are subliminal, but they have proven to be quite important as the model matures.

No comments: